Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Morning Walk - Adyar Bridge

I was advised by the doctor to go for walking because of my sudden increase in weight and I dilegently followed what he said. From my childhood days itself, I was very inqusitive and I always question things or go in search of things till I get satisfied personally. I have frequently heard my dad saying that he used to go by cycle to office before his marriage and he used to cross the Adyar bridge, which is not being used now as it became very weak and was forced to abandon.
A new bridge was constructed parllel to the old one and the new one has been put to use. I always craved to go to the old bridge which was abandoned and it was blocked tokeep public away from it. Few years later, the State Government came with a plan to construct one more bridge to meet the increasing traffic in between the 2 bridges and the construction work of a fresh bridge began.

 
This morning, I went for walking till the bridge in which traffic was closed and I could see a new bridge was being constructed in between. The water flowing beneath the bridge was untreated sewage water and I really did not know how those workers manage to work under those horrible conditions. They had raised a temporary structures for staying in the beginning of the abandoned bridge and many steel sheets and rods were scattered for the construction of fresh bridge.

I knew that there was a way to reach the abandoned bridge, and I casually walked inside entrance of the old bridge and asked the watchman, if I can further proceed. He allowed me and I strolled in and after proceeding further, what I could find was horrible smell from the water which I got used. After one point, the labourers out there started to give a strange look at me, which made me uncomfortable and hence I had to come back to the entrance and asked the watchman, if there is a way to get up there. He asked me to go to the other side.

I had to take the main bridge, where the traffic was open and the pavement for the pedestrians were too narrow that if someone is going to walk on it, he will surely fall down from the bridge in the Adyar river flowing down. So I had to walk all the way on the road along with the traffic and reached the other side of the old bridge. To my horror, I just found 2 pipes connecting the broken bridge and one has to walk over the the pipes to reach the bridge, else, the same result like walking on pavement.


I carefully walked upon the pipe and reached the old bridge and to my right side, I saw the beautiful sea far away, where the river underneath goes and meets the sea, with an island and few islets in the middle of the river. On my left, I found the bridge which was full of traffic. Then 2 workers came to me and described their works and what sort of difficulties they undergo and the proposal to raise the new bridge and completely abandon the old bridge. I listened to them patiently and then walked over the old bridge which was said to be pulled down soon.

I relished all those moments of walking in that bridge finding the river flowing underneath. Though, it was having a real bad smell, I was just praying God that the Government would clean up this wonderful river which was once used as inland water transport.

1 comment:

kay sara sara said...

its nice... angenthu paatha my house .... theriyum he he....

On a serious note - i go through that road every day n always wondered whether there arent scared while living in the make shift house on top of the bridge...